- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon each chopped fresh oregano, basil and parsley or 1/4 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add squash, tomatoes, carrots and seasonings; stir well. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until squash is tender. Serve over rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSavory Butternut Squash
"Delicious! Used canned tomatoes with chilies in them; gave it a little zing. a quick favorite here. Thanks!"