Savory Breakfast Muffins
After taking a bite, few people can resist gobbling up these out-of-the-ordinary muffins. They’re packed with cheese, ham, pepper and onions. —Michelle van Maanen, Lethbridge, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup cubed Havarti cheese with jalapeno or pepper Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper. In another bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, butter and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in remaining ingredients.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.