Savory Braised Beef
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours 5 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 small apple, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 small new potatoes, halved
- 2 cabbage wedges (about 2 inches thick)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- Trim fat from meat and cut into 1-in. cubes; brown in a skillet coated with cooking spray. Add water, apple, onion, salt if desired and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add potatoes and cabbage; cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Blend cornstarch and water; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 401 calories, 13g fat (0 saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 25, 2019
Wasn’t sure about the cabbage, but this was delicious. The meat was so very tender. Not only will I make this again but I will share with friends.
May 13, 2013
We really like this one. I added a little sage and thyme to season. I'm also going to cut down the amount of potatoes in future versions - 4 potatoes was a bit much for us.