Savory Braised Beef
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours 5 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 small apple, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 small new potatoes, halved
- 2 cabbage wedges (about 2 inches thick)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- Trim fat from meat and cut into 1-in. cubes; brown in a skillet coated with cooking spray. Add water, apple, onion, salt if desired and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add potatoes and cabbage; cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Blend cornstarch and water; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 401 calories, 13g fat (0 saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.
Mar 25, 2019
Wasn’t sure about the cabbage, but this was delicious. The meat was so very tender. Not only will I make this again but I will share with friends.
May 13, 2013
We really like this one. I added a little sage and thyme to season. I'm also going to cut down the amount of potatoes in future versions - 4 potatoes was a bit much for us.