Savory Baked Onion Rings
"If you love onion rings but not the fat from deep-frying them, try baking them," suggests Marilyn Lee of Richmond, Missouri. The crisp rings round out lunch...or make a scrumptious snack.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 large sweet onions
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1-1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Cut onions into 1/2-in. slices; separate into rings. In a shallow dish, whisk eggs. In another shallow dish, combine the cornflake crumbs, sugar, paprika, garlic salt and seasoned salt. Dip onion rings into eggs, then coat with cornflake mixture.
- Arrange rings in a single layer on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
Nutrition Facts5 each: 98 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Baked Onion Rings in Quick Cooking January/February 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.