My aunt passed this recipe down to me. It's requested often by family.—Mildred Sherrer, Fort Worth, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, cut into 1-inch julienne strips
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute carrots in oil for 3 minutes. Add the broth and pepper. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender.
- Combine the brown sugar, butter, lemon juice and peel; pour over carrots. Cook until sugar is dissolved and liquid is thickened. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 154 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Sauteed Carrots in Country Woman September/October 2001