- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium apples, peeled and shredded
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 package (16 ounces) smoked Polish sausage
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add the apples, sauerkraut, apple juice, caraway and fennel to the onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat sausage according to package directions; cut into slices. Serve with sauerkraut. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSausage with Apple Sauerkraut
"The flavor of the sauerkraut with the apple was amazing. Will definitely be making this again!"
"I left out the lemon juice & fennel. Tasted a lot like a dish my grandma used to make!"
"Totally difference delicious way to have kielbasa! Sooo very easy!"
"Perfect for any Octoberfest celebration! We used Granny Smith apples and turkey smoked sausage.~ Theresa"
"Fabulous Fall recipe--my family DIDN'T like sauerkraut they thought--untiol I made this--has become one of our 'staples'. Just perfect sweet and sour balance. Kathy/Kamloops BC Canada"