"This is a longtime family favorite," notes Shauna Hamman of Mesa, Arizona. Sausage adds savory flavor to this speedy skillet supper, which is nicely priced at only 63 cents for each serving.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 packages (2.1 ounces each) chicken noodle soup mix
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove meat and vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same skillet, combine the water, rice and soup mixes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in sausage mixture; heat through.
Editor's Note: The cost per serving does not include optional ingredients such as garnishes. When there is a choice of two ingredients, the cost is figured with the first one listed.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 377 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 811mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Sausage Vermicelli in Quick Cooking November/December 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.