Sausage-Veggie Pasta Sauce
With this recipe, I can sneak so many vegetables past my young sons—and they even ask for seconds! Plus, it smells wonderful simmering all day long. Make it interesting with different pasta shapes.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (14 ounces) marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the mushrooms, tomatoes, marinara sauce, carrots, peppers, onion, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, basil and oregano. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Serve with spaghetti.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without spaghetti): 326 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 675mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Garden Fresh Pasta Sauce in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.