Sausage Vegetable Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 9 ounces reduced-fat smoked turkey sausage, cut into slices
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onions, mushrooms, carrot and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, sausage, green pepper, garlic, salt and pepper; saute for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add rice and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 283 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 1003mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Apr 21, 2010
I came across this gem of a recipe in one of my very old issues of Light and Tasty, trying to find a new way to use some chicken smoked sausage I had bought on sale a few weeks ago. This is probably the fastest stir fry that I've made and my husband and I enjoyed it very much. I used a bag of coleslaw mix to cut prep time with the cabbage. I also added a bit more salt and about a half a tablespoon of soy sauce to pep up the flavor. We also liked how the rice was mixed into the skillet. Genius.