Sausage Vegetable Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 9 ounces reduced-fat smoked turkey sausage, cut into slices
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onions, mushrooms, carrot and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, sausage, green pepper, garlic, salt and pepper; saute for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add rice and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 283 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 1003mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Apr 21, 2010
I came across this gem of a recipe in one of my very old issues of Light and Tasty, trying to find a new way to use some chicken smoked sausage I had bought on sale a few weeks ago. This is probably the fastest stir fry that I've made and my husband and I enjoyed it very much. I used a bag of coleslaw mix to cut prep time with the cabbage. I also added a bit more salt and about a half a tablespoon of soy sauce to pep up the flavor. We also liked how the rice was mixed into the skillet. Genius.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.