Alice Scollin of Saranac Lake, New York concocted this pleasing entree, which became her husband's favorite dish after just one bite. Cheese, spaghetti sauce and sausage are mounded on zucchini halves, giving the recipe its zesty Italian accent.
Recommended: 25 Ways to Bake With Zucchini
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 pound sliced mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Remove sausage and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion, green pepper and garlic in oil and butter until tender. Stir in sausage, Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce.
- Place the zucchini halves cut side up in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Spread with sausage mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Top with cheese and remaining spaghetti sauce. Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Sausage-Topped Zucchini in Taste of Home August/September 2002, p11