Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 4 medium zucchini (6 to 7 inches)
- 1/2 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Place, cut side down, in a large skillet; add 1/2 in. of water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until zucchini are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Remove zucchini and drain water. In the same skillet, cook sausage, onion and garlic until sausage is browned; drain fat. Add oregano, corn and tomato. Cook and stir until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in 2/3 cup cheese; set aside. Scoop out and discard seeds from zucchini. Divide the sausage mixture among zucchini shells. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 201 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 359mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Aug 28, 2017
This was a pretty easy, yummy recipe. I cut the recipe in half and used leftover Italian sausage I already had. I found that it actually took the zucchini longer than 5 minutes to get crisp-tender. There was a lot of liquid too when I took out the seeds, so I sort of patted it dry before putting it in the baking pan. I also threw on some extra mozzarella on top of the zucchini before putting it in the oven. We thought it was good but could benefit from more tomatoes or some sort of sauce. Next time I might put some chunky pasta sauce on top. I would make this again.
Nov 2, 2012
This was a great no-carb recipe.I made a few changes:no cheddar cheese. Instead, I used 1/4c parmesan cheese in the mix and a little on top when baking.No corn (I don?t like corn cooked in my food).I added 1/2c tomato sauce and instead of ditching the zucchini seeds and insides, I blended them up in the food processor and added them to the sausage mix.My husband and I loved this. The kids: not so much.
Aug 7, 2011
Can't wait to make this dish again! Got rave reviews all around. The cheddar cheese is a nice touch.
Mar 13, 2008
thanks- looks yummy
Mar 13, 2008
What a fantastic dish! Everyone LOVED it... even my non veggie eating husband!