Sausage-Stuffed Slithery Snakes
This cheese-, spinach- and sausage-filled bread from our Test Kitchen is sssseriously party pleasers! It ties in well with any Halloween theme.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 cups (1 pound) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 drops each red, yellow and green food coloring, optional
- 4 pitted ripe olives
- 2 roasted sweet red pepper strips
- Thaw bread dough according to package directions; let rise until doubled.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until no longer pink; drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add the spinach, cheeses, oregano and garlic powder; set aside. Roll each portion of dough into a 14x12-in. rectangle. Spread sausage mixture lengthwise down the center of each rectangle. Gently press the filling down; dot with butter.
- Bring edges of dough to the center over filling; pinch to seal. Place each loaf seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Tuck ends under and form into a snake shape.
- Place an egg yolk in each of two small bowls; if desired, use red and yellow food coloring to tint one yolk orange and use green to tint the other. Brush stripes and diamond designs on snakes to decorate.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut out two small holes for eyes at one end of each loaf; gently press in olives. In each loaf, cut a slit below eyes; insert red pepper strip for tongue.
Nutrition Facts2 slices: 315 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 563mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.