- 1/3 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 6 jumbo pasta shells, cooked and drained
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Set half of the sausage aside for filling. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, brown sugar and Italian seasoning to sausage in pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, combine the cottage cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, egg, parsley and reserved sausage. Stuff into shells. Spread 1/4 cup meat sauce in an ungreased 1-qt. shallow baking dish. Place stuffed shells in dish; drizzle with remaining meat sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan if desired. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until filling reaches 160°. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forSausage-Stuffed Shells
"We make this alot except I switch the sauses around the meat one ext on the inside and add extra cheese great dish"
"Husband and I loved these stuffed shells. Did add some peppers, onions and garlic to the sauce because we like them in sauce for added flavor. Have already made twice once with sausage and once with hamburg."