Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons dried currants
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 medium pie pumpkins (2-1/2 pounds each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, rice, bouillon and curry powder to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and shallots for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Reduce heat; add the currants, broth, poultry seasoning, sage and marjoram. Return sausage to the pan. Cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; stir in rice.
- Wash pumpkins; cut a 3-in. circle around each stem. Remove tops and set aside. Remove and discard loose fibers; save seeds for another use. Prick inside each pumpkin with a fork; sprinkle with salt and garlic powder. Stuff with sausage mixture; replace tops.
- Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish; add 1/2 in. of water. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Cover loosely with foil; bake 45-50 minutes longer or until tender. Cut each pumpkin into 4 wedges to serve.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 337 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 744mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Jan 2, 2019
Excellent dish! My whole family loved it! I added craisins and we really enjoyed that addition
Nov 3, 2014
Excellent flavor! Really loved the flavor. I did only a couple changes. I pre-baked the pumpkin while I got everything else ready, so it didn't take so long to cook in the end. (Everyone was really hungry) Also, I didn't have shallots or currants, but used raisins. That worked fine. I did add celery to the veggie mix. Because I'm trying to eat low carb, I just scooped out a bowl of meat/veggie mix for myself before adding the rice back in. Really, this recipe as she's made it is very well done. We will be repeating this! (I have a family of 7, including toddlers who loved this.) I doubled the recipe and actually had left overs! YEA!!
Oct 30, 2014
Dear Sunkissed,But it doesn't call for regular rice; the recipe specifies brown rice, which does take 45-50 minutes.
Nov 16, 2012
Mixed reviews here. I really enjoyed it while Hubby did not. I make something similar in smaller portion sizes using acorn squash, no mushrooms, seasonings are different and throwing in raisins. He perfers that recipe.
Nov 2, 2012
This is perfect!! I make this every year. I don't add quite as much sausage.
Oct 22, 2012
Delicious! We used wild rice instead of brown, and it definitely needed 50 minutes of cooking. The pumpkin imbued the dish with a unique, yet delicious taste. This was a beautiful dish to serve and definitely starts conversations.
Nov 1, 2011
To begin, even regular rice does not need to cook for 45-50 min. Especially only 2 c. worth. Try 15-20 min.I find thyme, marjoram & parsley to be better spices for this dish. Curry & poultry seasoning along with sage overwhelms it.Craisins or raisins can easily be substituted for the harder-to-find currants.And brush the outside of the pumpkin with oil before baking.
Dec 4, 2010
I have made this over and over. We LOVE it!! I find it takes longer to bake the pumpkin through than the amount of time stated in the recipe. I normally cut the pumpkins in half and then stuff them. It's easier.
Nov 3, 2009
LOVE this! Beautiful and delicious! I used Craisins in place of the dried currants and doubled the curry powder. For a vegetarian option, omit the sausage and double the mushrooms. You must try this recipe, and make sure you eat the pumpkin too!!!
Sep 24, 2009
soooo good, but the baking time is way off. you need to bake it so much longer!!