Kids like to help stuff the sausage and cheese into the bread, so this is a good holiday treat. I serve it year-round for breakfast when we have guests or on special family occasions.
Recommended: Breakfast Ideas for People Who Don't Like Eggs
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 frozen fully cooked breakfast sausage patties (about 7 ounces)
- 6 slices Italian bread (1-1/2 inches thick)
- 3 slices Muenster or brick cheese, halved
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Maple syrup
- Cook sausage according to package directions; cool slightly.
- Cut a pocket in one side of each slice of bread. Fill pockets with sausage and cheese.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and sugar. Soak bread in egg mixture, about 1 minute per side. Cook on a greased griddle over medium heat until golden brown on both sides. Serve with syrup. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed French Toast in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1998, p13