Load butternut squash shells with an Italian turkey sausage and squash mixture for a quick and easy meal. Even better, it's surprisingly low in calories. —Katia Slinger, Columbus, Georgia
Featured In: 30 Quick Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes or Less
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat broiler. Cut squash lengthwise in half; discard seeds. Place squash in a large microwave-safe dish, cut side down; add 1/2 in. of water. Microwave, covered, on high until soft, 20-25 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage with onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Leaving 1/2-in.-thick shells, scoop pulp from squash and stir into sausage mixture. Place squash shells on a baking sheet; fill with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 4-5 in. from heat until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with pepper flakes. To serve, cut each half into two portions. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sausage-Stuffed Butternut Squash in Simple & Delicious February/March 2017
Reviews forSausage-Stuffed Butternut Squash
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 28, 2017
"Very good! I had to cook the squash a bit longer than the suggested time in order to get it cooked thoroughly - though I am sure that varies based on the size of the squash. I think this would also be great with acorn squash."