At our cafe, breakfast is probably our busiest time of day. So I need recipes that are easy to prepare. The seasoned croutons are a fast way to add great flavor.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk pork sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 3 cups onion and garlic croutons
- 18 large eggs
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Tomato slices, optional
- Place sausage and croutons in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in cheese, milk and salt; pour into pan.
- Bake uncovered at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Garnish with tomato slices if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 398 calories, 29g fat (13g saturated fat), 376mg cholesterol, 936mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Sausage Strata in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook