Sausage Sandwich Squares
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add the salt, remaining water and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In drippings, saute peppers and onion until tender; drain.
- Press half of the dough onto the bottom and 1/2 in. up the sides of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread sausage evenly over crust. Top with peppers and onion. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Roll out remaining dough to fit pan; place over cheese and seal edges.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and water. Stir in remaining ingredients. Brush over dough. Cut slits in top. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 290 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 458mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 15, 2014
Really enjoyed this recipe.
Feb 2, 2011
This is no only easy to make it is fantastic tasting! My kids wont eat anything but they love this.
Aug 28, 2010
These are easy and so yummy!
Aug 29, 2009
I like the idea of using ready made pizza dough too! Thanks for the tip!
Aug 27, 2009
I think this sounds super enough to please both my grandchildren and grandpa. BUT I intend to use ready-made pizza dough, as I never have enough time when we have the grandkids here!Nana Janet