- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast and salt. Add warm water; mix well. Add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- In a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the drippings, saute peppers and onion until tender; drain.
- Press half of the dough onto the bottom and 1/2 in. up the sides of a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Spread sausage evenly over the crust. Top with peppers and onion. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Roll out remaining dough to fit pan; place over cheese and seal the edges. In a small bowl, beat egg and water. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Brush over dough. Cut slits in top. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forSausage Sandwich Squares
"Really enjoyed this recipe."
"This is no only easy to make it is fantastic tasting! My kids wont eat anything but they love this."
"These are easy and so yummy!"
"I like the idea of using ready made pizza dough too! Thanks for the tip!"
"I think this sounds super enough to please both my grandchildren and grandpa. BUT I intend to use ready-made pizza dough, as I never have enough time when we have the grandkids here!Nana Janet"