Sausage Rye Melts
In Johnstown, Pennsylvania, Rose Maldet assembles these simple openface sandwiches, which are easy on the pocketbook at just 96¢ each. "Try the spread on English muffins," she suggest. "I serve them with a sweet-and-sour cucumber salad."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 can (2-1/2 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 10 slices rye bread
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cheese, chilies, olives and onions. Spread over bread. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 457 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 1121mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Sausage Rye Melts in Quick Cooking November/December 2004