In Johnstown, Pennsylvania, Rose Maldet assembles these simple openface sandwiches, which are easy on the pocketbook at just 96¢ each. "Try the spread on English muffins," she suggest. "I serve them with a sweet-and-sour cucumber salad."
Recommended: 50 Dinners for Serious Bread Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 can (2-1/2 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 10 slices rye bread
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cheese, chilies, olives and onions. Spread over bread. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Rye Melts in Quick Cooking November/December 2004, p51