Sausage Risotto with Spinach and Tomatoes
ENTREE/STUFFING WINNERChristine Riccitelli, Danville, CaliforniaChristine loves Italian food and created this delicious dish with an Italian flair.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 package Regular Flavor Jimmy Dean® Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll
- 2 cups chopped leeks (white portion only)
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, leeks and fennel over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in rice; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in wine. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.) Add the spinach, tomatoes, basil and pepper; cook and stir until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; serve immediately.
Nutrition FactsNutrition Facts: 2 cups equals 515 calories, 24 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 1,462 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Originally published as JD Sausage Risotto with Fresh Spinach & Tomatoes in Jimmy Dean® Sausage Recipe Contest
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.