Flavorful pork sausage, fresh zucchini and instant rice make this stovetop sensation a favorite with Connie Putnam's family and friends. "Everyone I have shared this recipe with tells me how delicious it is," reports the Clayton, North Carolina cook.
Recommended: 25 Stuffing Recipes for Thanksgiving
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt or garlic powder
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) V8 juice
- 2/3 cup uncooked instant rice
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add the zucchini, onion, green pepper, oregano and garlic salt; cook and stir until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in V8 juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-14 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Return to a boil. Stir in rice; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5-7 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Rice Skillet in Quick Cooking March/April 2002, p61
Reviews forSausage Rice Skillet
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 28, 2012
"This is a nice simple recipe, goes together fast. I used regular rice and canned tomatoes since that is what I had on hand and I thought it turned out fine."