Sausage Rice Pilaf
In Goshen, Indiana, Deborah Downing serves this nicely seasoned rice casserole with a fresh green salad and some crusty bread or rolls. "It's one of our favorite sausage recipes. My family likes freshly grated Parmesan cheese on their helpings. More Sausage Dinner Recipes »
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown sausage; drain. Add onion and mushrooms; saute until onion is tender. Add rice, consomme, water and oregano; mix well. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring once. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 377 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Sausage Rice Pilaf in Quick Cooking July/August 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.