VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup canned Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce), undrained
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- In a skillet, saute green pepper, onion and garlic in butter until crisp-tender. Add sausage; cook and stir until browned. Add the tomatoes, beans, oregano and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Red Beans 'n' Rice in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p206