Sausage Pumpkin Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours 10 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add the broth, pumpkin, syrup, pie spice, garlic powder and nutmeg. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until flavors are blended. Stir in milk; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 250 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 722mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Mar 18, 2014
I wanted a soup that could cook in the slow cooker all night. I did not cook the sausage beforehand and it was in there for roughly eight hours. Interesting flavour, but I made the mistake of adding the total amount of maple syrup that the recipe asked for. Very sweet! Next time I'd definitely cut that in half. I added triple the amount of pumpkin to give it a thicker consistency (and hopefully to cut back on the overpowering flavour of the maple syrup); otherwise it was kind of watery. I also added a clove of garlic instead of garlic powder. I do like the potential of the soup so that's why I am still giving it four stars.
Feb 4, 2014
I liked this soup. Nice flavor and good consistency. I used a little less than half a cup of maple syrup and it was still just a tad sweet. Next time I'll use probably a quarter cup of maple syrup. And I just might try adding rice to it...I think it might go well with this soup.
Apr 27, 2013
Very interesting - I added this one to "My Recipes" - great flavour! I did cut back to 1/4c of maple syrup. It's been perfect frozen for lunches and late night suppers