Sausage Pumpkin Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours 10 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add the broth, pumpkin, syrup, pie spice, garlic powder and nutmeg. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until flavors are blended. Stir in milk; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 250 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 722mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 18, 2014
I wanted a soup that could cook in the slow cooker all night. I did not cook the sausage beforehand and it was in there for roughly eight hours. Interesting flavour, but I made the mistake of adding the total amount of maple syrup that the recipe asked for. Very sweet! Next time I'd definitely cut that in half. I added triple the amount of pumpkin to give it a thicker consistency (and hopefully to cut back on the overpowering flavour of the maple syrup); otherwise it was kind of watery. I also added a clove of garlic instead of garlic powder. I do like the potential of the soup so that's why I am still giving it four stars.
Feb 4, 2014
I liked this soup. Nice flavor and good consistency. I used a little less than half a cup of maple syrup and it was still just a tad sweet. Next time I'll use probably a quarter cup of maple syrup. And I just might try adding rice to it...I think it might go well with this soup.
Apr 27, 2013
Very interesting - I added this one to "My Recipes" - great flavour! I did cut back to 1/4c of maple syrup. It's been perfect frozen for lunches and late night suppers