Sausage Pizza Casserole
Looking for a healthy dish the whole family will love? Nancy Zimmerman turns to this fast flavorful pizza entree that fills her Cape May Court House home in New Jersey with a simply wonderful aroma. “Refrigerated bread sticks make the crust fuss-free and any leftovers freeze well for another busy day,” she points out. TIP: You can also substitute green peppers instead of yellow and red.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated breadsticks
- In a large skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add zucchini; saute 4-6 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, sausage, tomato paste, salt, Italian seasoning, pepper and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon half of the sausage mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; top with remaining sausage mixture. Separate breadsticks; arrange in a lattice pattern over the top. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Pillsbury refrigerated breadsticks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 389 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 1327mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Pizza Casserole in Quick Cooking January/February 2006
Oct 6, 2011
I am a college student and I made this for my roommates and I. We all absolutely LOVED it. I added Jalapenos and mushrooms to the recipe. My only adjustments would be to add an extra layer of cheese.