Sausage Pizza Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, sliced
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated breadsticks
- In a large skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add zucchini; saute 4-6 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, sausage, tomato paste, salt, Italian seasoning, pepper and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon half of the sausage mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; top with remaining sausage mixture. Separate breadsticks; arrange in a lattice pattern over the top. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Pillsbury refrigerated breadsticks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 389 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 1327mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Oct 6, 2011
I am a college student and I made this for my roommates and I. We all absolutely LOVED it. I added Jalapenos and mushrooms to the recipe. My only adjustments would be to add an extra layer of cheese.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.