- 16 small fresh pork sausage links (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 4 to 5 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Place sausages on a rack in a baking pan; bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut into 1-in. pieces; set aside. In a skillet, saute peppers in oil for 3 minutes. Place in a 3-qt. casserole; add the sausages and the next eight ingredients. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forSausage Pie
"I have made this dish quit a few times and we love it. I use a whole red pepper and no green pepper and I always use 1 lb of farmer type sausage either Italian or garlic. I precook it in the oven or BBQ and cut it up into small pieces. I really like that there is no pasta and no canned soup in this. A nice change from the usual casseroles. Fresh tomatoes are the best in it and they add plenty of moisture."
"I followed the recipe exactly, and I love all the ingredients individually, but something didn't jive well for me and this casserole. I was not a fan. Not sure why...it just was not pleasant for my palate."
"We enjoyed this for dinner last night. I used five Italian sausage links and added a few cloves of fresh garlic and some chopped onion. Plenty of veggies in it for us - none of them came out of my garden, but they came outta somebody's garden LOL..."
"I added more vegetables and about 5 extra herbs. Even so, my family sprinkled Tabasco sauce all over it and said it was not a keeper."
"This recipe is a heavenly comfort food I will be making again and again! Oustanding recipe!"
"I am new at this - but after reading some of the reviews on this recipe and several others - I would never submit a recipe because I can't believe what Caty and unkind comments are made - everyone likes to read a recipe, then adjust it to their families liking - but Geese Louise - lets not tear each other apart doing it."
"I used spicey sausage added onion and garlic.Needed a little punch."
"I almost always change up recipes depending on what I have on hand... I used carrots, corn, canned tomatoes, spinach, peppers, & onions as my veggies. I used minute rice & I didn't bother with the bread crumb topping. Still an excellent result."