Sausage & Peppers with Cheese Polenta
Who'd have thought that Italian sausage and peppers could be healthy and light? The creamy Asiago polenta is the perfect backdrop for the sauteed meat mixture.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring 2-1/2 cups broth and water to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon 15-20 minutes or until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from sides of pan.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage, peppers and onion; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add remaining broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; heat through.
- Remove polenta from heat; stir in cheese, milk and butter until cheese is melted. Serve with sausage mixture.