Sausage Pepper Skillet
"We try to eat healthy, but that can be difficult with our busy schedules," writes Margaret Kruse from Virginia Beach, Virginia. "To save time, I freeze chopped onions and peppers to use in entrees like this one. And to cut back on calories and fat. I saute foods in fat-free Italian salad dressing."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing, divided
- 1 pound reduced-fat turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry the peppers, onion and garlic in 1/4 cup salad dressing for 5 minutes. Add sausage and remaining dressing; stir-fry for 8-10 minutes or until sausage is heated through and vegetables are crisp-tender. Sprinkle with soy sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 222 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 1556mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Originally published as Sausage Pepper Skillet in Light & Tasty December/January 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.