Sausage Pepper Sandwiches Recipe
- 6 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hoagie or submarine sandwich buns, split
- 1. In a large skillet, brown sausage links over medium heat. Cut into 1/2-in. slices; place in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the green pepper, onion, tomato sauce and pepper.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Use a slotted spoon to serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 389 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 965mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Sausage Pepper Sandwiches
"This came out really greasy. That was pretty unappealing."
"I made this for dinner and it got rave reviews (even from the kids who hate peppers and onions). I used a mixture of hot and mild turkey sausages and used 2 green peppers (I didn't have a red one) and instead of tomato sauce, used some leftover canned spaghetti sauce. Turned out great, was super easy and warmed us on a chilly day. Looking forward to making this again."
"We added a bit of soy sauce and crushed red peppers...It was spicy and great! Served it on some toasted hoagie rolls. Loved it so much that I we are planning on putting it on our Super Bowl Menu!"
"When doubling this use a 28 oz can of tomato puree and 1 cup of water instead of an 8 oz can of tomato sauce. Made a difference."
"What a great sandwich! I have doubled the recipe and served it the 2nd time around with noodles. Makes a great sauce. I use the Johnsonville Sweet Ital. Sausage."