Sausage, Pepper & Mozzarella Calzones
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 minutes
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onioin
- 3/4 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, divided
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add sausage, onion and peppers. Cook until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in sherry, 1 teaspoon each oregano and rosemary, vinegar, salt and pepper; heat through. On a lightly floured surface, divide each loaf of dough into six portions. Roll each into a 6-in. circle. Brush with remaining oil; sprinkle with remaining oregano and rosemary.
- Spread 1 tablespoon pizza sauce over half of each circle to within 1/2 in. of edge. Spoon about 1/4 cup sausage mixture over sauce. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese. Fold dough over filling; press edge with a fork to seal. Cut a small slit in top.
- Sprinkle cornmeal over greased baking sheets. Place calzones on baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over calzones. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Warm remaining pizza sauce; serve with calzones. Freeze option: Freeze cooled calzones in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, reheat calzones on a greased baking sheet in a preheated 375° oven until heated through.
Originally published as Sausage, Pepper & Mozzarella Calzones in Freezer Meals Recipe Cards 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.