Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onioin
- 3/4 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, divided
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add sausage, onion and peppers. Cook until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in sherry, 1 teaspoon each oregano and rosemary, vinegar, salt and pepper; heat through. On a lightly floured surface, divide each loaf of dough into six portions. Roll each into a 6-in. circle. Brush with remaining oil; sprinkle with remaining oregano and rosemary.
- Spread 1 tablespoon pizza sauce over half of each circle to within 1/2 in. of edge. Spoon about 1/4 cup sausage mixture over sauce. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese. Fold dough over filling; press edge with a fork to seal. Cut a small slit in top.
- Sprinkle cornmeal over greased baking sheets. Place calzones on baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over calzones. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Warm remaining pizza sauce; serve with calzones.
Can you freeze Sausage, Pepper & Mozzarella Calzones?
Freeze cooled calzones in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, reheat calzones on a greased baking sheet in a preheated 375° oven until heated through.