- 1 pound turkey italian sausage links
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 teaspoons olive or canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, divided
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
- 3 teaspoons cornmeal
- Remove and discard sausage casings; crumble the sausage. In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage, onion, peppers and garlic in 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in sherry or broth, vinegar, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon each oregano and rosemary; heat through.
- Divide each loaf of dough into six portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 6-in. circle. Brush with remaining oil; sprinkle with remaining oregano and rosemary. Spread 1 tablespoon pizza sauce over each circle. Spoon about 1/4 cup pepper filling on half of each circle to within 1/2 in. of edges; fold dough over filling and seal edges. Cut a small slit in top.
- Coat baking sheets with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place calzones on baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Warm remaining pizza sauce; serve with calzones. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forSausage Pepper Calzones
"My family loves this recipe. I add a couple of tablespoons of mozzarella cheese to each calzone before folding and baking."