Sausage-Pecan Turkey Stuffing Recipe
- 9 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 unpeeled tart apples, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- Chicken broth
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1. Place bread crumbs in a large bowl; set aside. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion in butter until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender; do not drain. Add to bread crumbs. Stir in apples, pecans, parsley, thyme, sage, salt and pepper; stir in apple juice and enough broth to moisten.
- 2. Just before baking, stuff the turkey. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place on rack in a roasting pan. Bake at 325° for 5 to 5-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 185°. When the turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with a tent of aluminum foil and baste if needed. Remove all stuffing. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Editor's Note: Stuffing may be baked in a greased 3-qt. covered baking dish at 325° for 70 minutes (uncover for the last 10 minutes). Stuffing yields about 12 cups.
1 cup: 849 calories, 44g fat (13g saturated fat), 294mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 86g protein.