Ever since I first tried this, I've never made another stuffing. The sausage and pecans really give it a different flavor. Our home is on 20 acres where we have hay and horses—my husband, our two children, (8 and 6) and I ride a lot.
Recommended: 25 Juicy, Golden Holiday Turkey Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 9 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 unpeeled tart apples, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- Chicken broth
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- Place bread crumbs in a large bowl; set aside. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion in butter until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender; do not drain. Add to bread crumbs. Stir in apples, pecans, parsley, thyme, sage, salt and pepper; stir in apple juice and enough broth to moisten.
- Just before baking, stuff the turkey. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place on rack in a roasting pan. Bake at 325° for 5 to 5-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 185°. When the turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with a tent of aluminum foil and baste if needed. Remove all stuffing. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Sausage-Pecan Turkey Stuffing in Country Woman November/December 1994, p33