“This recipe is so flexible,” says Shirley Howden of Essexville, Michigan. “You can use beef or Italian sausage, and your favorite vegetables and cheese.” It's also easy to double for company.
Recommended: 25 Foolproof Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1/3 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Drain and rinse pasta in cold water. Cut pasta into 3-in. pieces. Stir the pasta, sausage and spaghetti sauce into meat mixture.
- Transfer to an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Pasta Casserole in Cooking for 2 Summer 2009, p51