Sausage Omelet Bagels
What a great eye-opener! These spicy sandwiches from Cindie Haras in Sebastian, Florida are hearty enough to take you through a busy day or double as a quick-fixing supper.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 breakfast turkey sausage links
- 1 slice (1 ounce) pepper Jack cheese
- 2 plain bagels (4 inches each), split
- Dash chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salsa
- 2 slices red onion
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lime juice and cilantro; set aside. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, jalapeno, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook sausages over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until no longer pink; drain. Remove and keep warm. Pour egg mixture into the skillet; cook over medium heat. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. When the eggs are set, place cheese over one side; fold omelet over cheese. Cover and let stand for 1-1/2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Cut omelet in half; place on bagel bottoms. Cut sausage links in half lengthwise; place over omelets. Sprinkle with chili powder. Top with salsa and onion. Spread cut side of bagel tops with mayonnaise mixture; place over onion. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 428 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1456mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Sante Fe Frittata Sandwich with Cilantro-Lime in Cooking for 2 Summer 2007