Sausage ‘n’ Spinach Eggs
This recipe is also nice prepared with chorizo and cilantro in place of the Italian sausage and oregano. —Karen Johnson
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach (about 1/2 pound)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Crumble sausage into a 10-in. ovenproof skillet; cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the onions, mushrooms, garlic and seasonings in oil until vegetables are tender. Add spinach in batches; cook over medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes or until spinach begins to wilt.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and hot pepper sauce. Return sausage to skillet; add egg mixture. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. Cook until eggs are nearly set, about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Broil egg mixture 6 in. from the heat for 30-60 seconds or until set. Sprinkle with cheese; broil 30 seconds longer or until melted. Cut into wedges. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 280 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 248mg cholesterol, 506mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Sausage 'n' Spinach Eggs in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook