Sausage Mushroom Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spinach and mushrooms. Combine eggs and mozzarella cheese; fold into sausage mixture. Spoon into pastry shell.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled quiche in plastic and foil. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap quiche; reheat in oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Dec 22, 2012
I was excited to make this recipe as it was in the big hardbacked cookbook for 2012. We found the 2 packages of spinach was way too much and spoiled the tasted of the dish. If anyone makes this recipe, only use one package. I think I'd also omit the pastry shell and go for the less calories.
Jan 10, 2012
This was excellent. I did customize it. I only used 10 oz. of chopped spinach. I substituted 1# sauteed fresh mushrooms for the canned mushrooms. The mixture looked a little dry when I put it in the pastry crust, but it came out just fine.
Jan 8, 2011
Have made this recipe many times since Christmas. Easy and Tasty.