- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spinach and mushrooms. Combine the eggs and mozzarella cheese; fold into sausage mixture. Spoon into pastry shell.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forSausage Mushroom Pie
"I was excited to make this recipe as it was in the big hardbacked cookbook for 2012. We found the 2 packages of spinach was way too much and spoiled the tasted of the dish. If anyone makes this recipe, only use one package. I think I'd also omit the pastry shell and go for the less calories."
"This was excellent. I did customize it. I only used 10 oz. of chopped spinach. I substituted 1# sauteed fresh mushrooms for the canned mushrooms. The mixture looked a little dry when I put it in the pastry crust, but it came out just fine."