"Experimenting with recipes, especially soups, is my favorite hobby," notes Judy Wolters of Atchison, Kansas. "We love this easy healthy soup. I've made it often when time is at a premium."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + standing
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1-3/4 cups water, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked fine egg noodles
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch sugar
- 1/2 pound fully cooked turkey kielbasa, halved lengthwise and sliced
- In a 3-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the onion, celery, 1/4 cup water and garlic powder. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, noodles, cabbage, bouillon, basil, oregano, sugar and remaining water. Cover and microwave on high for 11-13 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring twice. Add sausage; cook 2 minutes longer. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 161 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 935mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Microwave Minestrone in Quick Cooking May/June 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.