Sausage Marinara Sauce
Not only does this sauce freeze well, but it's a family favorite. I like to keep a few batches in the freezer. Then I simply cook the pasta, reheat the sauce and dinner is ready.—Christi Gillentine, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casing removed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 to 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Hot cooked penne or pasta of your choice
- Crumble sausage into a skillet. Add the onion, peppers and oil. Cook over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, sugar, basil and garlic powder; heat through. Serve with pasta.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 195 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 675mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Sausage Marinara Sauce in Quick Cooking March/April 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.