Sausage Macaroni Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add macaroni and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-8 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Stir in chili sauce and milk; heat through.
- Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 603 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1263mg sodium, 84g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Sep 9, 2015
Not a fan.
Sep 17, 2014
The nutritional facts need to be fixed. 1 serving may be 603 calories but this made far more than 5 cups of food. Family thought it was yummy and it was simple to throw together for a quick meal
Sep 17, 2014
Easy and delicious for a busy night. I added some zucchini to mine as I had some I needed to use. I think this would work real well with ground beef as well.
Jun 21, 2012
Loved the simplicity and great outcome. I was distracted and added too much evapo milk so I put in a couple of slices of american cheese to compensate. Turned out very cheesy. I'll probably experiment with adding some other veggies, perhaps less chili sauce to cut down on sweetness a bit. Perfect recipe to make as is or tailor to suit different tastes. Thanks! :)
Dec 12, 2011
Very easy work-night meal! I used whole-wheat macaroni to add a little "healthiness" to the meal and cooked it for a couple minutes longer. I do love Italian sausage and these days, it's a bit less expensive than ground beef.
Dec 6, 2011
This is a very quick, easy and tasty dish. For those of you that didn't care for the evaporated milk, you can try regular milk.
Feb 17, 2011
This was delicious - I used hamburger instead of Italian sausage (only because I didn't have any sausage), and also omitted the onions. It was easy, quick and also great heated up for lunch today!
Jan 27, 2011
Such an easy, tasty recipe! The chili sauce adds such a perfect sweet taste. Also, One pan = less dishes = a very happy girl! However, I did change one thing. I am not a big fan of Italian sausage so I used ground beef and I think it still turned out delightful.
Nov 29, 2010
Yummy! This was a great, quick work-night dinner. My husband couldn't get enough!
Oct 13, 2010
My 14 year old daughther found this recipe in Simple and Delicious and wanted to try it. What a hit! She made it and we all loved it. This recipe is a keeper. I agree with the other reviews thinking that sweet and condensed milk as used instead of evaporated milk/