Sausage Macaroni Bake
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the green pepper, onion, oregano and pepper. Stir in tomato sauce and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir in macaroni and 2 tablespoons cheese. Transfer to an ungreased 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
1 each: 379 calories, 24g fat (10g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 1174mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Apr 30, 2019This recipe calls for a 1/2 cup of uncooked macaroni which can't possibly be right. I think they must mean a 1/2 pound. I found it to lack texture and flavor. It is a poor variation of goulash.
Aug 27, 2017
Nice recipe for kids! For my husband and I, I layered with mozzarella and spinach.
Nov 12, 2014
Very tasty economical easy main dish. I added a little more oregano to give it a little more spice.As there are just 2 of us I like that it makes a small dish.
Aug 21, 2013
Nov 28, 2012
I really liked this dish. Simply and tasty. I added red pepper flakes for some heat. I will definitely be making this again.
Aug 25, 2011
I didn't care for this, but my husband did. Since the recipe makes just a small dish and is pretty easy, I'm happy to make it for him again. I used hot Italian sausage and grated fresh Parmesan cheese, both of which added good flavor to the casserole.
Jul 9, 2011
I've made this one twice now. I have to say i was pleasantly surprised the first time I tried it. I had figured it would have no flavor, but it's very flavorful. Nice, easy, quick recipe!
Sep 2, 2010
I also 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/2 basil and a can of diced tomatoes (omitting the 1/2 cup water). (Measurements in this comment are for the recipe above and not the double recipe I cooked.)
Sep 2, 2010
Good, easy recipe. I doubled it and used a loaf pan. Put a layer of the macaroni mixture in the bottom of the pan. Added a layer of mozzarella cheese. Added a layer of Parmesan cheese. Another layer of the macaroni mixture, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Backed ... and yummy!!!
Jan 21, 2010
It is a keeper!