Sausage Lentil Stew
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1 pound fully cooked turkey kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- In a Dutch oven, cook the kielbasa, carrots, celery, onion and garlic in oil until vegetables are almost tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the water, potatoes, broth, lentils, salt, cumin and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and chilies; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 268 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 1236mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 12g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 31, 2017
Economical, healthy, tasty - what more could a cook want?!- Theresa
Oct 13, 2014
May 18, 2014
So delicious. The cumin gives it a lovely warmth.
Jan 31, 2013
A delightful, flavorful rich blend of tastes and textures! Perfect for a cold winter evening!
Nov 9, 2012
Such a hearty soup..it will be my go to recipe for the cooler months ahead.
Aug 14, 2011
Mild, pleasing flavor... the green chilis add the right touch.
Oct 6, 2010
Delicious! I made this recipe exactly as written, will definately make this again, and won't change a thing!
May 12, 2010
Because we try to stay away from most meat, I used only 1/2 pound of low fat turkey kielbasa and diced it into smaller pieces. We like the flavor that cumin gives to any recipe, so doubled the amount. The cayenne pepper gives it a little snap, we use more but even the 1/8 t. would be to hot for some.
Apr 17, 2009
This stew was so good and so full of healthy goodness. It was also very easy to prepare but tasted like I had worked all day on it. The only small change I made was adding 1/2 teaspoon more salt at the end. I know I'll be making this often.
Apr 6, 2009
This recipe is delicious! I have 4 additional servings to have for later meals. It is easy and pretty cost efficient to make. I highly recommend this!