- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup country-style or regular Dijon mustard
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain fat and crumble sausage; return to Dutch oven along with remaining ingredients except mustard. Simmer, covered, 1 hour or until lentils and vegetables are tender. Stir in mustard. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSausage Lentil Soup
"Very good! I've never cooked with lentils before. I took the advice of other reviewers and only used half of the Dijon Mustard and am happy with the results. For my tastes the full amount would have been overpowering. You can always add more of an ingredient but you can't take it out! I often order curry lentil soup at my favorite middle eastern restaurant which is served with a lemon wedge to help brighten the taste of the soup. I think the mustard is included in this recipe for the same reason. The next time I make this I will omit the mustard until I have tried it with lemon."
"Very good and very easy. I didn't have lentils so use a sprouted bean trio and it worked just as well. Next time I might reduce the amount of mustard as it was almost overpowering the other flavours."
"Hearty and delicious. I loved it! We did celery instead of green pepper and some extra garlic. Will definetly make this again!"
"My husband's favorite soup for many years. I always make a huge batch so I can freeze extras."