- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 12 Johnsonville® Original Breakfast Sausage Links
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Maple syrup
- In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and buttermilk; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 9-in. cast-iron skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain on paper towels. Arrange eight links in a spoke-like pattern in same skillet or a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Cut remaining links in half; place between whole sausages.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir egg and vanilla into cornmeal mixture; add to dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Pour batter over sausages.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm with syrup. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSausage Johnnycake
"Sounds delicious, I bet milk gravy poured over it would be good too!"
"The flavour of the breakfast sausage is lost in the overwhelming presence of cornbread."