To make time for last-minute Thanksgiving essentials, I prep the sausage part of this recipe a day or two ahead of time, then finish the dressing in my slow cooker on the big day. It has stood the test two years running! —Judy Batson, Tampa, Florida
Recommended: 25 Stuffing Recipes for Thanksgiving
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound bulk sage pork sausage
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1 package (12 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes (8 cups)
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook and crumble sausage with onion and celery over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain. Stir in coffee and seasonings; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in stuffing cubes. Transfer to a greased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low until heated through and edges are lightly browned, 2-2-1/2 hours, stirring once. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Sausage-Herb Dressing in Simple & Delicious October/November 2017