In this Italian take on traditional shepherds pie, sausage takes the place of ground beef (or lamb), and spinach replaces the green veggies. Zesty tomatoes, mixed Italian cheese and garlicky mashed potatoes make this dish long on flavor, even if the ingredient list is short. . —Leah Lyon, Ada, Oklahoma
Recommended: 5-Ingredient Fall Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 cups shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- 1 package (24 ounces) refrigerated garlic mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook sausage, crumbling meat, until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes; drain. Stir in tomatoes, spinach and 2 cups cheese.
- Pour sausage mixture into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish; top evenly with mashed potatoes. Bake 20 minutes; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and top begins to brown, about 20 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Florentine Shepherd’s Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2018