Sausage Florentine Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
Makes2 casseroles (4 servings each)
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 package (12 ounces) extra wide noodles, cooked and drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, garlic, sugar, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine eggs, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and nutmeg; mix well. Stir in spinach, noodles and onions. Discard bay leaf from sausage mixture.
- In each of two greased 9-in. square baking pans, layer a fourth of the noodles and a fourth of the sausage mixture. Top each with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 555 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 217mg cholesterol, 1103mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 36g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 15, 2018
My last review of this was in 2009--9 years later it's still a family favorite!
Apr 30, 2013
We thought this was delicious. We love it. It's interesting how the sausage flavor mellows over a few days. I used sweet Italian link sausage, and took it out of the casings. I left the salt out; otherwise I made it as per the recipe, but I did use a 16 ounce bag of noodles. Eight servings? I think for us, it's more like 20! It's been a week, and there were days 3 of us ate it, and we still have most of the 2nd casserole left! Great bargain meals. Yes, will make again!