Sausage Florentine Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
Makes2 casseroles (4 servings each)
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 package (12 ounces) extra wide noodles, cooked and drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, garlic, sugar, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine eggs, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and nutmeg; mix well. Stir in spinach, noodles and onions. Discard bay leaf from sausage mixture.
- In each of two greased 9-in. square baking pans, layer a fourth of the noodles and a fourth of the sausage mixture. Top each with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 555 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 217mg cholesterol, 1103mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 36g protein.
Jul 15, 2018
My last review of this was in 2009--9 years later it's still a family favorite!
Apr 30, 2013
We thought this was delicious. We love it. It's interesting how the sausage flavor mellows over a few days. I used sweet Italian link sausage, and took it out of the casings. I left the salt out; otherwise I made it as per the recipe, but I did use a 16 ounce bag of noodles. Eight servings? I think for us, it's more like 20! It's been a week, and there were days 3 of us ate it, and we still have most of the 2nd casserole left! Great bargain meals. Yes, will make again!